Have You Been Injured In A Car Accident?
Car accidents can happen anytime and anywhere even to the safest drivers. You cannot control what careless or distracted motorists will do but you can take control of your life after a car accident.
In Mississippi a written accident report must be filed with the police with 10 days if someone is hurt or the property damage exceeds $250. It is a misdemeanor if you fail to file this report and could lead to a suspended driver’s license and it is illegal to provide false information in the report. We have listed below 9 steps to take if you are involved in a car accident as we realize that this can be overwhelming.
9 steps to take if you are involved in a car accident:
- Be prepared before it happens. Have your insurance information in your wallet and glove compartment. It is also a good idea to have pen and paper in the glove compartment.
- Stay calm.
- Make sure everyone is OK. If needed seek medical attention as quickly as possible.
- Call the police to report the accident.
- Call your insurance company and report the claim.
- Exchange vital information with the other driver such as contact information and insurance information.
- Take photos with your cell phone or if you have a camera, including the surrounding areas, traffic signs, lane markings and damages to the vehicles.
- Do not admit guilt. Express compassion but do not admit any fault. Do not answer questions or make statements to the other driver.
- Treat parking accidents the same as road accidents.
Our law firm has the necessary resources and experience to effectively assist you with your car accident. We will discuss your situation in detail and go over the various options that are available to you. We will work with insurance companies and other parties involved to make sure that all your needs are handled quickly and appropriately.
If you or a loved one has suffered a vehicle injury you need to hire an experienced auto accident attorney who can help make sure you receive the benefits you need. Our team at Hopkins, Barvié & Hopkins, P.L.L.C handles all types of motor vehicle accidents including motorcycle accidents, boating accident, truck accidents and auto accidents. With more than 68 years of combined legal experience, our attorneys offer clients throughout Mississippi the representation they need.
Contact us online or call 228-864-2200 to schedule your free initial consultation with an experienced auto accident lawyer.
To best meet the needs of our diverse client base, we speak Spanish. Los Abogados Hablan Espanol.
Or, email us, like us on Facebook or follow us on LinkedIn. Just click below.
Bold labels and indicate required information.